Saturday, February 22, 2014

Two Birds with One Stone

We are only two months into the 2014 year. And within these two months I've lost two people who were so dear to me and my family.
On January 6,2014, I lost my uncle Angel. And an angel he was. Serving in the US Army for only 8 years until he became very ill and was unable to retire as a US veteran. He became unable to walk after serving in places like Germany, The Panama Invasion, Morocco, Korea and the Desert Storm. The last eight years he had seen or, at least try to, watch his little girl grow up. Beautiful, tall, big brown eyes and that long curly brown hair, you know he was related to me. The Saturday before my uncle passed away we saw him suffering from ammonia. This happened because the nursing home (an yes he was in a nursing since the age of 40) was infected by the flu. He began to cough up mucus so I took my siblings and my little cousin with me to the car to play with the cars. We saw these biker dudes walking inside so we followed them only to find out they were there for Angel.
Latin Bikers. All of Latin origin, and all serving in the military. You were able to related to them so much is was like they were family too.
Monday morning came and I did my usual school routine. Get up, take a shower, eat breakfast, say Our Father and a Hail Mary. I begged God to end my uncles suffering. When I go home from school, my dad watched me enter the car and he said those dreadful words, "your uncle is in a better place." I cried so much. An uncle that was ten years younger than dad but helped him so much through life, family and the military. Unfortunately they were never able to serve together. Not one of my fathers seven brothers. none of them.

But today February 22, 2014 I lost another family member. My abuelo, my grandfather. He was 12 years older than my dad but he began to suffer so much. HE went to church every Saturday. It didn't matter where. As long as it was a church and they greeted him with open arms he came. When he would stay in the United States for six months, I went to church with him. I earned and I followed his footsteps. "Deje de llorar." He would say. "Stop crying."
He was in the military too. In Panama. Knowing Omar Turijillos and many more Famous Panamanians, he was one that was taken away during the Panama Invasion. He never told anyone what happened to him during those few years and today no one bothered to ask.
But today at 7:24 a.m. My mom was crying for my abuelo had passed away. He slipped in the shower and hit his head. The ambulance came but after a hour of trying to get him to respond they reported him as being dead. Today we were going to a sparring seminar in Tampa but after getting those news I would rather have the day of rest my grandfather was unable to have today.

So for that I say Rest in Peace my two beautiful angels for I know you are watching over us.

No comments:

Post a Comment